The recipe is from Martha Stewart, and there is a video on the site but I didn't watch it so I don't know if it's helpful or not.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 drops red or pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and half a cup of granulated sugar on medium-high until creamy (about 3 minutes). Add egg and one teaspoon vanilla and beat until combined.
- With mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture and beat to combine.
- Place about 1/4 or more sugar in a bowl, roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll to coat with sugar. Then put the balls on the baking sheet and using either your hand or a glass, flatten then to desired width. Using a heart shaped small cookie cutter (or whatever shape you want) press the cookie cutter into the cookie to make an outline, but do not cut through.
- Bake until the cookies are golden on the edges, about 10 minutes. Then let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 3/4 teaspoons cold water. Mix in food coloring (one drop will do at the start then you can add more if you want a bolder color). Spread the glaze over the heart in the middle and enjoy!